We are excited to officially announce that the AWEA Annual Conference is changing venues in 2018!
Mark your calendars for April 7-11, 2018 at The Grand Hotel in Point Clear, Alabama.
We are committed to serving our members and it is important that we be transparent and make members aware of the multitude of reasons for this change in venue:
- Increased exhibit hall space for vendors that provide so many resources to our organization. Also, the classrooms at this facility surround the exhibit hall, which improves vendor exposure.
- Numerous amenities onsite for attendees and their families to enjoy during the conference. These amenities include world-class golf, a true resort spa, wonderful pool and beach facilities, and a host of free entertainment such as outdoor games, bicycles, kayaks, and hammocks!
- Improved food quality and options for entertainment throughout the conference. Stay tuned for some fun, new additions to the conference schedule!
- Reduction in the probability of weather affecting conference events due to a more spacious venue with options for use of tents outside, with interior backup event spaces, if needed.
- Opportunity to invite Mississippi Water Environment Association (MWEA) and potentially other groups along the coast or within the state and increase the potential for networking.
- Requires the Board to practice adaptability in preparation of uniting with other organizations within the state in the future for combined conferences.
- Provides a variety of dining and entertainment options outside of the resort, including the following: Fairhope Brewing Company, Inshore Fishing, Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail – Lakewood Golf Club, Alabama Eastern Shore Trail, Fairhope Avenue and Downtown Fairhope.
The decisions that are made by the Board are always intended to be in the best interest of the organization, which is healthy, vibrant and more active than ever. Please be watchful for more information about the annual conference soon via website, email and social media. We are very excited about this change for 2018 and hope you too will make plans to participate in 2018!
-Dana Raughton, 2018 Conference Chairperson